In addition to the papers describing the VBS systems of each year of the Video Browser Showdown, a few papers have been published that describe the VBS competition and/or perform comparative evaluations of different teams or tasks.
This paper gives an overview of the Video Search Showcase and reports on the achieved progress over the first three years (please note, however, that this paper is already a bit outdated, since the VBS has changed in terms of tasks and dataset over the years):
- Klaus Schoeffmann, “A User-Centric Media Retrieval Competition: The Video Browser Showdown 2012-2014“, in IEEE Multimedia, Vol. 21, No. 4, Oct.-Dec., 2014, pp. 8-13. Link
This work evaluates the Video Browser Showdown from 2015 to 2017:
- Jakub Lokoc, Werner Bailer, Klaus Schoeffmann, Bernd Münzer, George Awad. 2018. On Influential Trends in Interactive Video Retrieval: Video Browser Showdown 2015-2017. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM), IEEE, New York, NY, 16 pages, PDF Early Access
The following journal paper (online available via Open Access) evaluates the performance of tools used for VBS2015:
- Claudiu Cobarzan, Klaus Schoeffmann, Werner Bailer, Wolfgang Hürst, Adam Blazek, Jakub Lokoc, Stefanos Vrochidis, Kai U. Barthel, and Luca Rossetto. 2017. Interactive Video Search Tools: A Detailed Analysis of the Video Browser Showdown 2015. Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), 76, 4, Springer, USA, 5539-5571. Springer Link
The following journal paper, which is available online, evaluates the performance of tools used in VBS2013 in direct comparison to interactive search with a common video player:
- Klaus Schoeffmann, David Ahlström, Werner Bailer, Claudiu Cobarzan, Frank Hopfgartner, Kevin McGuinness, Cathal Gurrin, Christian Frisson, Duy-Dinh Le, Manfred del Fabro, Hongliang Bai, and Wolfgang Weiss, “The Video Browser Showdown: A Live Evaluation of Interactive Video Search Tools“, in International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval (MMIR), Springer, 2013. Springer Link
Video Browsing in General
An introduction to video browsing in general and an overview of video interaction tools is given in the following papers:
- Klaus Schoeffmann, Marco A. Hudelist, Jochen Huber, “Video Interaction Tools: A Survey of Recent Work“, ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 48, No. 1, Article 14, 2015, pp. 1-34. Link
- Klaus Schoeffmann, Frank Hopfgartner, Oge Marques, Laszlo Boeszoermenyi, and Joemon M. Jose, “Video browsing interfaces and applications: a review“, in SPIE Reviews , Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-35 (018004), SPIE, Online, March 2010. Link to online version (Open Access).